You may have to say goodbye to Retinol, but you can still keep your skin glowing!
Pregnancy is an exciting time, but it can be difficult to maneuver which treatments and products are safe and won’t harm your baby. As a new mom herself, Ashley, R.N., sat down to share aesthetic tips for pregnant women and new moms! Here are some of the products and treatments new moms should avoid, and suggested alternatives.
Products you shouldn’t use while pregnant or nursing:
- Glycolic Acids
- Salicylic Acid
- Lactic Acid
- Benzol Peroxide
In addition to watching out for those ingredients, new moms should hold off on these cosmetic treatments:
- Injectables such as Botox and Dysport
- Fillers such as Juvederm, Vollure and Volbella
- Profound, due to the use of lidocaine and epinephrine
- CoolSculpting (this should be avoided for 6 months to a year post-partum)
- Tattoo Removal
- Any procedures that require BLT numbing cream. If patients are tough and can handle Ultherapy Laser Hair Removal, or V-Beam without numbing, they are safe!
What you can do:
- Certain laser treatments without numbing cream, such as V-Beam and Laser Hair Removal
- Trivantage (for sun spots, not Tattoo Removal) without numbing cream
- Ultherapy – again, no numbing!
- Ultrasonic facials (so long as the provider uses products that don’t contain the restricted ingredients)
- Eyebrow and eyelash tinting
- Sugar waxing
Products that are good alternatives to your daily routine:
- If you use Obagi Cleanziderm, ZO Skin Health Gentle Cleanser is safe to use
- If you use Hydroquinone, a good alternative for brightening is ZO Skin Health Brightalive
- If you use anti-aging products, ZO Skin Health C-Bright is a great option
Even though you have to say goodbye to some of your favorite products during pregnancy and nursing, it doesn’t mean there aren’t medical-grade products out there for you! Our clinical staff can help you look and feel amazing throughout the new mom phase. If you have any questions about specific treatments or products, give us a call! We’d be happy to schedule a complimentary consultation with one of our providers.
Ashley and her baby, Ivy!